The Andrew Barton Duo I’m Loving Right Now + How I’m Keeping My Hair Blonde
The Andrew Barton Kind & Gentle range..Back towards the beginning of the year, I received three products from Andrew Barton. The Kind & Gentle Shampoo* and Conditioner* and the Heat Protect Spray*.
Let’s start with the shampoo. Now, I always shampoo my hair twice, usually once with my normal shampoo and then again with a purple shampoo. However, for the sake of this review I cut out my purple shampoo for a week or so, so that I could really get a feel for the product. (I have always shampoo’d my hair twice, I started doing it maybe a few years ago now, and I can’t recommend it more. The number one thing it helps with, is the greasiness/oiliness of your hair. Shampooing once only makes your hair smell nice, whereas the second wash actually cleans your hair – hence why the hairdresser’s perform this routine whenever you visit them. Who’d have thought hey?!)
One of the main things I noticed about this shampoo, is that it doesn’t froth up anywhere near as much as other shampoo’s I’ve used – for example, Tresemme. I do believe this is a good thing anyway!? I usually drop a chocolate coin sized (random I know, but I use more than a standard coin amount..) amount into my hand for the first shampoo. For the second wash, I only use about a one penny sized amount, as the second wash usually does froth so you can get more from using less! I really hope I’m making sense here.
It’s a pretty clear and gel-like colour and consistency, that does smell super lovely. I have been super impressed with this shampoo, mainly because it hasn’t stripped the colour from my hair! This is a must for me, as my hair can tend to get really brassy – turning the blonde in my hair from a whiter shade, to yellow. Which is totally not cool!
Oh this conditioner is glorious! It makes my hair so soft and silky, without making it look too shiny/greasy. This is all thanks to the Soy Protein, which makes your hair feel nourished, protected and radiant. It’s your standard conditioner in colour and consistency (white, fairly thick) so nothing to report there. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this conditioner. It does exactly what it’s meant to and has just slotted into my hair washing routine nicely. Again, it smells amazing and has the same scent as the conditioner. I personally like this because then my hair isn’t giving off all different scents!
Keeping it Blonde, not Brassy
I have a couple of tips to share for any fellow brassy girls..
- I personally use the Matrix Total Results Brass Off Color Obsessed Shampoo. This stuff must be good, because my hair is intent on being yellow. This gem of a product actually makes the ends of my hair white, without turning them purple – no matter how long I leave it on for.
- If I don’t have a lot of time and my hair isn’t too yellow (this will usually be just after I’ve had it dyed really and as long as I keep up with the purple shampoo once a week), then I use the purple shampoo as my second hair wash and leave it for around 10-15 minutes.
- Some people recommend mixing in purple shampoo with your normal shampoo, however I don’t do this and just use it neat – I guess that this could be why it works better for me and my yellow hair!
- If I do have some time on my hands, then a tip my hairdresser recommended to me was to completely coat all of your hair in the purple shampoo, just like you would with a toner at the hairdresser’s, on completely dry hair for around 30 minutes or so. Then you just hop in the shower and wash it off and you will have no brass left in your hair – miracle worker.
- Keeping your hair out of the sun will help it to stop going brassy. So wear a hat or sit in the shade!
- I also wash my hair every 3 or 4 days – the more you wash it, the more you’re stripping your hair of it’s dyed colour. I know this isn’t feasible for everyone, but I honestly used to have the most greasy hair (I know that makes me sound gross, but my hair is dark so please don’t judge me!) and I’ve managed to train it from washing every other day and looking greasy, to every 3 or 4 days and it doesn’t usually look greasy until the third or fourth day.
- I never use heat on my hair, I’m always letting my hair air dry and I don’t faff with curling or straightening.
I am still using this duo religiously – the bottles are a really generous size, so they’re lasting me forever. Which I’m definitely not complaining about! I can see this Andrew Barton Kind & Gentle duo taking over as my holy grail shampoo and conditioner of choice.
I hope some of these tips will help you fellow brassy gals out there. I’d love to know if any of them have worked for you! If you have any other tips to add, please drop a comment so I can see.
*Contains PR Gift. All views and opinions have not been influenced and are totally my own.
*Contains Affiliate Links. This just means that I make a very small amount of commission per click/purchase, at no extra cost to you.