2019: My Year in Review
2019 was the year of change for me…
I feel like a lot happened in 2019, but then also didn’t. If you know what I mean? A lot of change surrounded me and, if you know me in real life, I really don’t like change. I’m what you call a creature of habit.
I started off the year officially unemployed, but with an interview promptly on the horizon. I was so so scared back then! Looking back I needed this change, to grow as a person and become the more confident version I am of myself today. I’m a firm believer that everything in life happens for a reason, whether big or small.
Looking back on who I was as a person at the start of 2019, I actually can’t believe how far I’ve come. I never noticed those little changes along the way, but who I am now is a reflection of all of those little changes accumulated. It’s funny what a year can do, right?
Let’s start with the highlights…
01. We officially moved into our rented home at the end of February! I remember feeling so excited, but also really nervous. As you all know I suffer with homesickness quite badly, so I was a little apprehensive but I needn’t have worried! We have loved every minute together in our little home and now can’t wait to buy a place which we can make completely our own.
02. Starting two new jobs! One in March and one in October. This is huge for me and something I’m actually quite proud of. I’m not someone who’s confident within their capabilities, so to have been employed on two separate occasions, is something that has made me more confident within myself.
03. Planning my first ever hen do for my boyfriend’s sister! I love planning and having surprises for other people, so to be a part of this memorable occasion was awesome. The hen do was so much fun and I can remember every second, to this day! This is even more of a highlight for me because I met the most incredible friend through planning this special day with her. A best friend for life! I’m very lucky.
04. The wedding! Wow, the best wedding I have ever been to in my entire life. I was also a bridesmaid and adored my dress, I literally felt like a princess. The day was so incredibly special to be a part of, I laughed and cried and danced my little heart out. It was perfect.
05. Mum & Dad’s 50th! If you didn’t already know, both of my parents were born on the same day of the same year. So they both turned 50 this year and, if I do say so myself, they book look incredible! We had a huge party celebrated with friends and family and it was a lovely weekend.
06. Our family holiday to Menorca in June! This holiday was the first time I’ve ever felt like I didn’t want to go home. Menorca has always held a special place in my family’s hearts. We’ve been pretty much every year since I was around ten years old and we just love it. Spending nearly two weeks there last June was amazing and if I could re-live the whole trip, I 100% would.
07. New York! What a once in a lifetime experience that was. I’ve been desperate to see New York for years now and it was incredible. I don’t think I stopped talking about it for months afterwards. It was a surprise trip for my cousin who turned eighteen and let me tell you, it was hard to keep that secret!
08. A Christmas trip to Devon to see all the family. I always love heading down to Devon to see my dad’s side of the family. We always have so much fun! Going on dog walks, eating amazing food, chilling out with the family, etc. It’s such a nice time to just relax and unwind.
A Few Discoveries Made…
– Sending e-cards with Paperless Post*. Such a genius idea for when mailing cards just gets too expensive (sending to someone overseas, sending a bunch of invitations, etc.)
– Lucifer on Netflix. Possibly one of my all time favourite shows ever.
– The Ivy’s truffle arancini starter.. Oh my word, I need these on tap!
– Arla Lactofree milk, which has honestly saved me so much belly pain!
– Travel photography I feel like is my thing. I almost had too much content whilst away in Menorca in June and New York in September. I’m very self critical, but my all time favourite photos are those from Menorca.
– Hair clips make your hair look waaay cuter!
The Other Bits In-between…
01. I headed into 2019 very unsure and very unemployed. As much as I enjoyed being at home every day, I lost all motivation and inspiration. I also struggled massively with money, which isn’t something I discussed much at the time as there’s a lot of people far worse off than myself. However, when you move out and have bills/rent to pay for, you have to have a constant stream of money coming in at a normally ridiculous ‘minimum’ amount too. I’m still currently trying to get myself back on track and get my savings back to where they were.
02. We made quite a big change this year by making the financial decision to share a car! We decided to keep one car loan going (we had two between us, so we’re still making a massive saving each month still having one). Just because we both work hard and wanted a nice car to share!
03. I was getting seriously bored of looking at the same face and hair in the mirror, so I decided to pop back to the brunette side of life. Which is actually more of my natural hair colour anyway! Another big change, but it was needed and my hair already looks and feels a lot more healthy.
My Year in a Few Numbers…
4 – trips taken
1 – concert attended
15,000 – Instagram likes
4 – wedding’s photographed
1 – new place visited (NY!)
30 – different restaurant’s eaten at
95 – new blog followers
8,000 – blog page views
10 – months in our new home
5,667 – iPhone snaps