My Sausage & Rice Bake Recipe.
A quick recipe sharing my take on a sausage & rice bake…
I’m all about those quick, easy and simple meals that are also somewhat healthy and good for you. I adore cooking from scratch and having everything as fresh as possible.
I’m also not great with my veggies, so any dishes that I can make where I can add as many as possible without noticing is a winner in my eyes.
I packed this one full of vegetables (and also topped it off with a load of cheese… I can’t resist!) and it tasted amazing. For this recipe, it doesn’t matter how many or what veggies you add, just add whatever you like and however much you would like. It’s so simple and can be adapted.
I took a quick glance at a rice bake I found online, just to get the basic ingredients list, and made the rest up myself! Recipe with full ingredients list and method below…
One bag of Basmati White Rice
Half a Red Onion
x2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
A handful of Green Beans
x1 small Carrot
A large handful of Peas
Half a Red Pepper
A handful of Mushrooms
A handful of Tomatoes
Cheese for the topping
- Pop the sausages in the oven (200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6) for 20-25 minutes, until brown. Turning occasionally.
- Whilst the sausages are baking, add a drizzle of oil into your pan (I use a wok) with your red onion. Cook for 3 minutes and then add the crushed garlic cloves. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Chop up all of your vegetables and add the carrot and red pepper to the wok with the onion and garlic. Cook for around 8 minutes, to ensure your carrot and pepper will become soft enough to eat.
- Then add your green beans, peas, mushrooms and tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes, adding your salt, pepper, garlic salt and paprika half way through.
- After this, add your passata and a little sprinkling of cheese and mix thoroughly. Leave to soak in all the spice for around 5-10 minutes. (Most of these timings are just based on my judgement, so use yours too as timings may differ for you depending on how soft or crunchy you prefer your veg!)
- Pop your rice in the microwave for 2 minutes and then add into your vegetable/sauce mixture.
- By this time, your sausages should be done. I take them out of the oven and cut them into bite sized chunks, which I then add to the wok full of my rice and vegetables.
- Give it a little stir and then pour into an oven proof dish. Then grate as much cheese as you personally desire all over the top, before popping in the oven to bake!
- Bake in the oven for around 15-25 minutes, until the cheese has melted and browned and some of the rice has gone a little crispy.
- Your sausage & rice bake is now ready to serve… Enjoy!
Admittedly, this is a rather rough sausage & rice bake recipe, but that’s the beauty of it. You only need the basis to build on and your cooking initiative. It’s so easy and super yummy! It’s a great dish to fill you up, but also packing it full of veggies gets your 5 a day in.
I swear by adding all the spices to my food, it’s the not so secret secret to amazing tasting food! Our spice cupboard is bursting and I love it.
I would love to know if you make this sausage & rice bake and what you add/change!