2020: My Year in Review.
Reflecting on 2020…
Another year with a lot of change it seems, plus a global pandemic thrown in for good measure too. It’s been a year hasn’t it! None of us knew what 2020 was going to throw at us and boy was it a lot. A global pandemic that none of us were prepared for; 2020 was the year we stayed at home. It was a year of change, good and bad, and it’s a year we can definitely learn from. Does anyone else feel like this year has gone super quick, but it’s also felt like forever since the beginning of the year when things were ‘normal’?!
This year has gone so fast and even though it may feel like we’ve done nothing, when you look back we’ve all achieved quite a lot.
A Few Goals I Set Myself For 2020…
Naturally, I didn’t complete as many of these as I would have liked to. Including our big America trip, which we actually nearly booked for September last year. Thank goodness we didn’t, as I can’t imagine we’d have got any of our money back! Travel this year came to a grinding halt, but it’s still something I’d love to do more of going forward.
I’ve managed to save a little bit of money and also land myself a dream job of mine, as a Social Media Manager. Which is something I never thought I’d be good enough to do and I love it. I also managed to do quite a bit more of my own photography stuff this year too. Unfortunately, weddings were off the table but we have lots booked in for next year!
I started the year religiously using my diary, booking things in and scheduling fun things to do. But, well, that all swiftly ended around April to be honest and I haven’t bothered picking up my diary again since! As for blogging more consistently, I kind of dipped in and out of this one. So I definitely need to set myself up a proper schedule for next year. I also haven’t touched Twitter or Pinterest much, so I might just give up on this! I also aimed to hit 1,000 BlogLovin’ followers, I’m closer to this goal so hopefully it will happen for me next year.
2020 Memories In Photos…
01. Turning 25! Turns out lockdown birthdays aren’t too bad. Everyone feels sorry for you so you get lots of cards and doorstep drop offs (hehe, kidding of course). I had a lovely day and luckily the weather was warm, so we could see people socially distanced outside.
02. Getting kittens! My two fur babies, Willow and Frankie. I love them SO much. They are the cutest bundles of fluff ever and they’re so incredibly loving. Not to mention how beautiful they are – their markings really are unique!
03. A hot Summer. Considering we were all locked down and couldn’t enjoy Summer to its fullest, the hot weather really made the lockdown a little more bearable. We could go for longer walks, see people (as per government guidelines) socially distanced and just generally spend more time outside without freezing our butts off!
A Few Unexpected Lows…
01. Our family has been through a few passings this year and I’ve personally struggled with this a lot. I’m very fortunate to have not been through grief, up until now. So this year has been quite the emotional rollercoaster. Kieran’s grandma passed away in May, during the height of the pandemic. We managed to visit her once before she passed to say goodbye and it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. We all miss her very much.
We’ve also suffered a very tragic, sudden and unexpected passing a couple months back and to say it was a shock is an understatement. Out of respect for the family, I haven’t mentioned it on my socials and I won’t share any more on it. With that being said, it feels wrong not mentioning anything because it is something that I have, and still am, going through too. It’s changed my perspective and my mindset and kind of made me re-evaluate a lot to be honest. Check in on people, don’t leave it too long to exchange messages and words and keep the ones you love close.
02. The obvious, hello Coronavirus. I saw something on Instagram that resonated with me. I think it was something along the lines of ‘same storm, different boats’ and ain’t that the truth. Everyone has struggled with the pandemic in their own ways and it has been hard for everyone. Whether you’ve lost a loved one during this time, your job, your home, your mental health has taken a dip or anything else, it’s been a lot. No one is alone and let’s hope that 2021 is the year we kick this virus in the butt. Let’s all be sensible, stay home as much as we can and don’t touch anyone or anything!!
Other Honourable Mentions…
Learning a new skill as a Visual Stylist, making a couple new friends, puppy cuddles, enjoying a fleeting visit to Devon at the beginning of the year, a long hot Summer, my 25th birthday, updating our spare room, enjoying lots of walks with Kieran, teaching myself to run with the Couch to 5k app, becoming self-employed as a Social Media Manager, creating lots of blog and Instagram content, laughing until my belly hurts with Kieran, video calls with friends and family, lots of baking, trying new home cooked dinner recipes, organising and having good clear outs, going on Summer bicycle rides, lots of BBQ’s, socially distanced hang outs with friends and family, making all the smoothies, spending time with our kittens, making my first ever DIY wreath and enjoying a slow Christmas.
In 2020 I Discovered…
01. Gossip Girl. I KNOW, WHO EVEN AM I. My good friend, Izzy, has been nagging me for years to watch this show. So, I decided to start it in lockdown and I finally finished it the other day. Kind of bittersweet because I’m so sad it’s over. Hands down this is the best show I have ever watched. Unfortunately, it’s not on Netflix anymore, but buy the boxsets and watch this if you can!
02. A Lumie light. Game changer! No more horrible alarm sounds to shock you into the real world. I wake up a lot more calm and slightly happier.
03. The epic Tanya Burr Triple Chocolate Cookies. So bad for you, but they’re just SO good. They’re also like the size of my head – they’re huge!
04. Tik Tok. I gave in and downloaded the app and I have no regrets. It’s one of my favourite platforms! There are so many funny and informative videos on there that keep me entertained for many hours…
05. Puff pastry pizza. Puff pastry, red pesto, lots of roasted veg, caramelised onion and mozzarella cheese – so delicious!
06. Anna Cake Couture Macarons. If you’re local to Bristol or ever visit, I recommend stopping by this cute little place. They also sell amazing cupcakes and other sweet treats, including stunning drip cakes. Not to mention that the shop is super Instagrammable!
My Year in Numbers…
9 – Months spent at home
7,000 – Blog views
22 – Tik Tok’s created
2 – Kittens bought
14,700 – Instagram likes
25 – The age I turned!
5,431 – iPhone snaps
127 – Posts shared on Instagram
How was 2020 for you?